What are the Dietary Guidelines?
The USDA's Dietary Guidelines for Americans are science based recommendations for people ages two and up for choosing a nutritious diet, maintaining a healthy weight, getting enough physical activity, and keeping foods safe to avoid food borne illness. What are those recommendations?
- Build a healthy plate
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables
- Use low fat dairy products
- Make half your grains whole
- Vary your protein choices
- Keep your food safe
- Cut back on foods high in solid fats, sugars and salt
- Use food labels to help you make better choices
- Eat the right amount of calories for you
- Enjoy your foods, but eat less
- If you drink alcohol, do so sensibly
- When you eat out, pay attention to calories
- Be physically active your way
- Get at least 30-90 minutes most days of the week to manage your weight
This is a simplified summary of the Dietary Guidelines. The expanded summary can be found at http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/dietaryguidelines.htm.